Sunday 3 April 2011

Few needed days off from uni.

Yesterday I met up with an old crafty friend who I haven't seen in quite some time. We had fun as there was an organised flash mob pillow fight going on. I'D already decided that for the first time I was going to take part. It was fun trying to walk around the field looking inconspicuous. When the whistle blew about a hundred or so people including me and old crafty friend  ran into the centre of the field bashing each other with pillows what fun :) This is the official video

After the pillow fight we decided to get some ice cream and go and make the most of the sunshine by sitting out in the park. It was good to see old crafty friend again, for one reason or another I hadn't seen her in about a year and a half, and we had a lovely time catching up on life in general. I couldn't believe how much had changed in our lives, she has graduated from big prestigious university as a social worker and is now working in that field, whilst I have gone from cleaner to carer to access student to  a mental health nursing student at lesser prestigious university (though I would argue its better :)

After this we decided it would be nice to visit my favorite part of  Hilly City,  the area has a rich sense of independence and diversity about it to the point where chain stores are run out of town. I have often thought of moving to this area of town but as of yet Ive never quite made it there though I am a frequent visitor. Recently my expeditions to culture street have been dominated by one particular activity with a variety of  different friends, and I couldn't quite believe it when old crafty friend told me she needed to go baby shopping. I have a LOOOOOOT of  pregnant people in my life right now 4 of them living in Hilly City (there are about 8 people I know who are pregnant and due in June/July, what exactly happened in Oct/Nov peoples????) anyways it seemed odd going baby shopping with old crafty friend along culture street because she was buying gifts for three different people she knew who were also due to deliver in June/July. Hmm something makes me think that the local maternity wards are going to be very very busy with my friends and friends of friends in a couple of months!;p

Wandering back to chain store central afterward we, hit the shops until quite late I found the perfect pair of trousers and a top that will really work well when I go out on placement and at imminent job interviews. In general I try and buy the majority of my clothing from charity shops due to the high cost clothing and I think it is more ethical to buy second hand or fair trade. I never used to shop in places like Newlook because I knew from my days in international banking they pay a couple of pence for a garment and then have a grossly inflated profit margins. I wouldn't mind paying more if they paid the makers of the garments a fair price. However being a student has changed this to being more aware of cost. For example atm my pet rats helpfully   escaped got into my wardrobe and chewed holes in my work trousers. I have worn them to work in the care home since, but for placement and interviews I need to be coming across as professional. As I am of a larger size the chances of finding an appropriate pair of trousers in a charity shop is slim but I generally snap them up when I find them. I cant afford £35 pounds for a new pair so I cant ignore the sale in Newlook where I can get decent trousers for 10 quid. Its a tricky one as I want to be ethical but being on a student budget isn't easy.

I have spent most of today just eating and sleeping, Ive been feeling sooooo tired recently, Part of me thinks it may be that my blood sugars are very high. Its a possibility as I have been stress eating recently, returning to my meals of crisps and chocolate and even sugary pop :/ I dragged myself to the doctors the other day and got my bloods taken as well as making an appointment with the diabetic clinic. Ive also been delinquent with my medication, so I'm trying to force myself back onto track. I'm doing well with the exercise and overall my diet has improved to the point where I am eating veg most days, fruit is still a struggle so I'm introducing myself to smoothies as a way of getting them into me. I don't really know how much I should expect of myself given that in the past I have suffered with bulimia, and a host of maladaptive eating habits that arise especially when stressed. I know I'm stressing myself out but I think It was important that I took action on the negative situations at work as well as the importance of pushing on with the counselling to deal with crap. I think ill just speak to the Diabetic nurse and see what she says lool.

No comments:

Post a Comment