Thursday 7 April 2011

sunshine and fun times :)

Its been a pretty good week, Ive had a few days off from uni that was definitely needed. I know they are supposed to be study days but its been nice just relaxing a little.  A visit to Ks house on Tuesday has inspired me to make flapjacks for Uni. I usually end up having some form of chocolate on my breaks, but given that Ive left my job so am technically going to be £300 quid a month down I kind of need to cut my costs a bit. Ks flap jacks came out all nice and crunchy something like this .
I suspect mine were on too high a heat setting because they came out more like this :{
Never mind though they still tasted okay, they were just very crumbly, I did take some to uni this morning and they did the job of filling me up without giving me any high sugar reading. I'm hoping that my next batch will be
slightly ever more so successful, as my attempts at making soups for uni have. 

I was talking with M  from my course today and we've both been surprised that the course has had a positive effect on our lives. Ive started to cook healthy nutritious foods for myself again where I would have just lived on biscuits, crisps and toast. I'm having loads more exercise by biking it into uni, but even on the days when I do take the bus in for whatever reason I tend to walk home, unless it is raining really heavily. I must say though the university is set  around some pretty amazing grounds. I cycle through this park generally as the quickest route home but the woodland, river and duckpond combined is pretty amazing.
There are other routes I can take that take in some really grand estates, that overlook the rest of hilly city. Today M and I took a different route home, It wasn't one where I probably should have taken the bike, but it was fun and as we got out of lectures early we spent loads of time in the grounds of an old hospital by a lovely lake just chatting. The walk home normally takes about 50 minutes, this time it took about three hours but we did stop and take a lot of detours which was really nice. As I got to see a lot of hilly cities countryside that I
haven't had the opportunity to explore for quite a few years now. 

I think im a little bit sad that our placements are in may right in the middle of summer, it would have been so nice to spend the lovelier summer months exploring these places but alas as of the beginning of may its our cohorts turn to go out onto our first placement.  Placement has been a real source of anxiety to me, I feel incompetent at times and I know this has come from having way too much work assigned to me at Big scary care home, and this is generally not the fault of the carers but a management issue. However whilst I was working there I could suppress a lot of what I felt about the quality of care, but now Ive left its all coming out in my head which has made me feel worse. I genuinely want to deliver high quality care, but wonder how in any care sector that can be provided where staffing ratios are 10 to one on a good day and 15 to one on a bad, as well as tying to cope with all the domestic chores as no support staff are employed. Anyway I met my placement mentor on Wednesday morning and even though the care setting is similar to what I have worked in before things do seem so much better. My mentor was very happy that I visited before placement started and has made me feel very welcomed. I was advised by my practice tutor to tell him my worries about placement, as they involved some pretty bad experiences and he was very positive in trying to show me that my placement is nothing like my old workplace. To the point that to every 10/11 residents there is two support workers a nurse and a whole host of laundry and kitchen staff. I was pleased with this as it means when I'm on placement I can do what I'm there to do and actually take care of the peoples.

I'm off now to actually attempt to study biology, this should be fun I haven't been to a lecture for it in four weeks:P

No comments:

Post a Comment